May 12, 2011
Dear Community Supporters,
The Northeast Ontario Consumer/Survivor Network (NEON) is pleased to announce our new name, Lived Experience & Recovery Network (LERN). As a networking body, LERN is dedicated to providing support, education, advocacy and empowerment to all consumer/survivor initiatives (CSIs) and family organizations within the northeast region. LERN is also a peer-run organization funded to provide mental health promotion and has a mandate as outlined in the CSI LHIN lead letter from the Ministry of Health: “… as the designated lead for your LHIN. In this role you will bring your regional CSI together to work on planning, coordination and input to your LHIN”.
It is our further pleasure to share our extended commitment to all people with lived experience, their families and communities in northeastern Ontario by initiating an Associate Membership. We recognize that not all peer-run services are funded through the Ministry of Health, or that peer services may be available within larger formal mental health and addiction agencies. For this reason we are reaching out to all community groups and organizations that commit to the philosophy of the peer-supported recovery process by offering associate memberships in which they can access a variety of resources and supports within our network.
Associate membership is open to any organization or community group with an expressed interest in promoting peer support and the goals/objectives of LERN. Associate members are considered non-voting members.
· Promotes positive change and supports consumer/survivor initiatives in northeast Ontario and their members
· Supports the mission and mandate of the Northeast Ontario Consumer/Survivor Network
· Actively consults with persons with lived experience in their organization regarding programs and services, policies (representatives on the board and/or advisory committees)
· Shares members with CSI’s
· Values the experience and expertise of persons with lived experience
· Shares the values of peer supported recovery
· Have consumer lead and/or directed programs and services and/or employs persons with lived experience
· Located and/or operates in northeast Ontario
Benefits of Associate Membership
· Recognized as a supporter of CSI’s
· Access to the LERN knowledge exchange network
· Inclusion in decision making through consultations
· Access to free and/or low cost learning opportunities
· Regular communications through electronic mail and web resources
· Access to support and/ or advocacy on shared or overlapping issues
Associate membership fees are as follows:
· Groups or organizations with staff of 49 or less $50.00 per year
· Groups or organizations with staff of 50 or more $100.00 per year
· Voluntary groups/organizations with no staff $10.00 per year
LERN has a membership of seven Ministry/LHIN funded CSIs. Other self-identified CSIs and/or their satellite sites who wish to be independent members of LERN and meet the following criteria you are eligible to be general members of LERN. There is no annual fee for general members.
General members of LERN are consumer/survivor and/or family organizations operating within the northeast region of Ontario, as outlined by the boundaries of the NE LHIN or LHIN 13.
· Owned and operated by consumer/survivors and/or family members
· Is independent or has a flow through funding arrangement
· Has a board of directors or advisory committee who guide the organization
· Employs consumer/survivors, paid and/or volunteer staff
· Has adopted the guiding values of peer support and recovery
· Actively participates in network activities
Benefits of membership:
· Voting privilege in electing NEON board of directors
· Eligibility for election to the board of directors
· Inclusion in decision making, board level and CIT level
· Access to members only section of website as well as the knowledge exchange network
· Opportunities to participate in regional networking meetings and learning events
· Access to peer support for the peer supporter
· Paid and/or volunteer opportunities
· Professional development opportunities
· Access to free and/or low cost organizational development assistance
If your organization would like to apply for an Associate or General Membership please review the enclosed statement of LERN’s goals and objectives and complete and return the application form along with payment. Please make cheques payable to NEON (LERN)as we are still in the process of changing our name on our accounts. Thank you.
Krista Tovey, Regional Director
On behalf of the LERN Board of Directors
Goals and Objectives 2011-2012
Membership Application Form