Know an Exceptional Mental Health Advocate or Researcher? Nominate them today!
CAMIMH Opens Nominations for the 2018 Champions Awards
January 15, 2018 – The Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health (CAMIMH) has opened
its online portal for nominations for the Champions of Mental Health Awards. The Champions Awards is an
annual gala devoted to recognizing outstanding individuals and organizations for their contributions to mental
This year, nominations will be accepted in the following categories:
1. The Sharon Johnston Champion of Mental Health Award for Youth – Any Canadian 21 and younger
who has shown leadership in his or her community in promoting mental health and/or mental illness
awareness, or any organization dedicated to providing services for youth
2. Media – Any media personality or outlet who has contributed to public awareness of mental health
or mental illness awareness
3. Workplace Mental Health – Any employer or employee who has contributed to creating a mentally
healthy workplace for staff
4. Community Organization – Any organization that has provided great public service to community
members experiencing mental illness
5. Community Individual – Any person, who through personal commitment, has increased awareness
about mental illness or reduced stigma in his or her community
6. Parliamentarian – Any provincial or federal Parliamentarian who has advanced the mental health
agenda in Canada
7. Innovation- Researcher or Clinician – An innovative person or organization that through their work
has advanced the mental health agenda in Canada
“We are always so impressed by the amount and quality of nominee applications we receive each year,” said
Fred Phelps, CAMIMH Campaign Chair. “The Champions Awards give us the opportunity to celebrate the
achievements of exceptional thought leaders in the mental health community. We are very excited to see what
kinds of projects Canadians have taken on this past year and we look forward to reading all the nominations.”
CAMIMH encourages Canadians to nominate their peers by completing the online nomination form. To
nominate a Champion, please visit camimh.ca. Submissions will be accepted until February 23, 2018. The awards
will be held on May 8, 2018 at Shaw Centre in Ottawa.
CAMIMH would like to recognize its sponsors who make the Champions Awards a success each year: Bell Let’s
Talk (Presenting Sponsor), the Mental Health Commission of Canada (Gold Sponsor), Lundbeck Canada Inc.
(Silver Sponsor), Innovative Medicines Canada (Bronze Sponsor) and Impact Public Affairs (Silver Sponsor). We
thank all that apply and will contact the winners in early March.