The Government of Canada recently launched a consultation process that will inform the development of planned accessibility legislation.
We need your help in reaching as many Canadians as possible who are impacted by a disability, and ensuring that they are heard through our consultation process. As a stakeholder, you are our most important partner as we work together towards our collective goal of improving the lives of millions of Canadians with a disability.
Here are some ways you and your organization can get involved:
- Participate online. Complete the online survey at Canada.ca/Accessible-Canada.
- Find an in-person consultation near you.
- Spread the word. Send a tweet, create a video, or write a blog.
- Host your own consultation. Secure a date and location, promote your consultation among your membership and facilitate your consultation using our discussion guide. Submit your responses via the online questionnaire or by email. If you have questions, feel free to contact us.
We have attached several products that you can use to help raise awareness of the Government of Canada’s in-person consultations including:
– an email to share with your members;
– an article that can be used in newsletters;
– social media content;
– web buttons (customizable upon request);
– a poster you can put up in your office and community; and
– a list of in-person locations and dates.
The following tools can help you promote accessibility in your communities and workplaces, including:
– information on Government of Canada disability benefits
Canadians can share their views online or in person, by email, mail, fax or telephone, or by submitting videos in the language of their choice (English, French, American Sign Language or Langue des signes québécoise).
All consultation materials are available in alternate formats, including American Sign Language and Langue des signes québécoise.
Canadians with accessibility requirements are encouraged to notify the Office for Disability Issues:
Consultation – Federal Accessibility Legislation
c/o Office for Disability Issues
Employment and Social Development Canada
105 Hotel-de-ville St., 1st floor, Bag 62
Gatineau QC K1A 0J9
The consultation process will run until February 28, 2017.
For the most up-to-date information please visit Canada.ca/Accessible-Canada.
We need your help in reaching as many Canadians as possible. It`s only with your collaboration that we can make a historic change which will improve the lives of people with disabilities.
Thank you for your help.